Electronic Touch Screens Replacing Sales Help (hope not) and Signage (hope so)?

I love perfumes. Expensive ones. Can’t stand any fragrance from Victoria’s Secret – understand? So on a recent visit to Sephora I was so excited to use their electronic touch screens to find out what’s new in the world of perfumes. Sephora installed the screens about a year and a half ago and they provide information to consumers. Even more specifically, they provide custom product information to consumers. For instance, I was able to tell the computer what my favorites were and it instantly selected suggestions of new items based on my personal preferences. Unfortunately or fortunately (for my wallet), I didn’t like what’s new on the market. But the point is that I enjoyed the customer experience of using the touch screen. It was visually pleasing and exciting and was a large screen with terrific graphics and colors. Very easy to navigate. The salesperson informed me that they’re coming out with a newer system which will include the rest of Sephora’s products including makeup and hair care. Can’t wait.


I have seen electronic touch screens popping-up everywhere. They are helpful and easy to use. I’ve seen them in condo-hotel lobbies to provide sales information and I’ve seen them at Mercedes Benz where you can sign your purchase agreement and learn about your car warranty options on the touch screen. A couple of years ago I read in Architectural Record that touch screens were going to replace signage in a new hospital in the Middle East. So are electronic touch screens replacing sales help and signage? I don’t think so. With as much technology as there is available today, we’re still human and still like talking to eachother in person. So no, I don’t think the screens will replaces sales help. As far as signage goes…well I think that if a building’s architecture is good, then no or minimal signage is required anyway (see ‘Philosophy’ on our website www.ccsarchenter.com). So only poorly designed buildings requires signage. Point is that I do not like signage. It’s unattractive and contrary to good architecture and so yes, I hope that touch screens replace signage in the future since they add value to an architectural experience.

Best wishes,

CCS Architect

Visit our website www.ccsarchenter.com for more information about CCS Architecture and Interior Design and visit our blog to read this post at http://ccsarchenter.blogspot.com

Also follow CCS on twitter http://twitter.com/CCSArchitect

Comments